The Lindsay Advantage
Exceptional manufactured quality, and superior products from Lindsay Transportation Solutions. Our aluminum constructed walkout cantilevers are engineered to prevent snow and ice build-up, and withstand 100 mph wind loads and 130 mph wind gusts. The one-piece arm design makes installation easy. We also offer a complete line of accessories.
Lindsay Transportation Solutions offers an age proven highway grade crossing cantilever structure, with a familiar design known throughout the industry, which was originally introduced back in the 1980’s by Harmon Industries.
Highway Grade Crossing Cantilevers | Different by Design
Highway Grade Crossing Cantilevers from Lindsay differentiate themselves over other similar products offered to the market place today. How Highway Grade Crossing Cantilevers from Lindsay separate themselves apart is by utilizing a triangular truss in opposition to a rectangular or “L” shape design. Utilizing the triangular design applies one of nature’s most simplistic shapes yet delivers one of the most rigorous structures. Applying the triangular shape of the main cantilever arm assembly increases the cantilever arms ability to withstand severe deflections in both the horizontal or vertical direction given that the triangle design delivers a fixed, rigid shape with the crucial capabilities to stretch uniformly without incurring any twist or buckling.
- Available in lengths from 12’ thru 42’ in one foot increments or 30 predetermined lengths to simplify ordering yet still meet highway requirements.
- The cantilever arms are fixed with standard 12’ lane spacing and can be ordered as follows in a standard configuration.
- Arm lengths 12’ thru 18’ are provided with a tip location only for either a one-way or two-way flashing light configuration.
- Arm lengths 19’ thru 32’ are provided with a tip location and one lane light location and can accommodate either a one-way or two-way flashing light configuration in both locations.
- Arm lengths 33’-42” are provided with a tip location and two lane light locations and can accommodate either a one-way or two-way flashing light configuration for each location.
- Unused lane locations are supplied with a cover plate so the provided 2” x 4” slot can be utilized for any future requirements. Lindsay can also produce utilizing the same triangular design, any special lane spacing highway requirements within the 12’-42’ arm length.
- Structural loading:
- Wind Loading: Meets A.A.S.H.T.O 120mph specified by AREMA.
- Live Load: Meets A.A.S.H.T.O of single load of 500 pounds and specified by AREMA.
- Ice Load: Meets A.A.S.H.T.O of 3 pounds per square foot around all surfaces except front face of signs and specified by AREMA.
- Horizontal: Meets A.A.S.H.T.O maximum horizontal deflection of 3 degrees 15 minutes and specified per AREMA
- Vertical: Meets A.A.S.H.T.O maximum vertical deflection to not exceed 6 inches and specified by AREMA.
- Cantilever arms: Aluminum 6061-T6 pipe 3”sch40 or 4” sch40.
- Cantilever masts: Aluminum 6061-T6 pipe 8” sch40, 10” sch40 or 10” sch80.
- Walkway: Aluminum extruded, grooved, punched slot, and inclined vertical V notch planking 6061-T6.
- Handrail: Aluminum 6061-T6 angle 2” x 2” x ¼” posts and top handrail with aluminum 6061-T6 angle 1 ½” x 1 ½” x ¼” mid-rail.
- Base plate: Aluminum 6061-T6 1 ½” thick with 19” x 19” bolt spacing.
- Junction box aluminum
- Flange bolt assemblies
- Ladder guard
- Ladder lock bracket
- Pinnacles for mast and arm
- Cover plates for 2” x 4” slots
- Bell (electronic or mechanical)
- Wiring Harnesses (3 wire or 4wire)
- Railroad Crossing Sign ( High Intensity,
Engineering Grade, Single
or Double Sided, Canadian Standards)
- Track Sign ( # of Tracks, High Intensity
or Engineering Grade)
- Rodent plate
- Rodent filler brackets
Highway Grade Crossing Cantilevers | Construction
The crossing cantilever arms are constructed out of either 3” Schedule 40 or 4” Schedule 40 aluminum 6061-T6 pipe, with standard 4” sch40 pipe provided with a 2” x 4” slot for a typical 4” flashing light junction box mount at each tip or lane location. The cantilever arm walkway is constructed out of aluminum planking with a total walking width of 20” for maintenance of flashing light signals. Lindsay differentiates here also by providing an extruded aluminum plank with grooves, punched slots and integrated inclined V shape cleats on the walking surface to counteract slipping versus an aluminum grating or aluminum I-bar. The aluminum plank, once welded into the cantilever arm assembly, increases the cantilever arms ability to withstand severe deflections. Other designs must employ additional assembly techniques to achieve comparable results. The cantilever arm walkway handrail is set at OSHA recommended height of 42” from top of handrail to walking surface, with the mid-rail located 20 ¼” from the top of handrail. The handrail assembly is equipped with a bolt-in mid-rail at the tip end that can be removed for a two-way flashing light configuration, or can remain firmly bolted in for a one-way flashing light configuration.
All wiring is internal to the cantilever arm by exiting out of the upper pipe section of triangular design, thru the flange into the matching flanged stub pipe located in the mast. The stub pipe in the mast penetrates thru the mast pipes to enable welding on both sides of the mast pipe creating strong connection between the cantilever mast and cantilever arm. Lindsay can supply a 3 or 4 wire harness for each flashing light signal location composed of Okonite P/N 112-11-1714 diesel 600v wire, 10 awg, and 27 strands as standard equipment. Lindsay also has the capability to provide customer specific wiring harnesses.
Lindsay’s cantilever mast assemblies have been pre-engineered to accompany each of the 30 predetermined cantilever arm lengths available. Lindsay’s standard cantilever masts are manufactured from 8” sch40, 10” sch40 or 10” sch80 aluminum pipe 6061-T6. The standard cantilever masts are set-up to meet most states’ height requirement of 17’-6” road clearance. All standard cantilever masts, either in single or double mast configurations, have a standard bolt hole spacing of 19” x 19”, which permits a single pier style foundation to be installed. Four 1 ½” curved slots are provided in the base plate to allow for some rotation of mast. Custom road clearance masts can be designed to accompany the 30 predetermined arm lengths.
Lindsay’s cantilever mast assemblies come equipped with aluminum 300 pound rated I-beam style ladder with a comfortable 16” climbing clearance. The cantilever masts are unique in the fact Lindsay places a 2” x 4” slot to mount the lower flashing light junction box signal configuration or “F” light so it may be accessed from the ladder.
The cantilever masts may also be equipped with a fall protection cable arrangement as a special request. Lindsay does not provide any type of ladder cage on the cantilever masts, since they do not provide any additional safety, and to meet OSHA recommended practices to install one correctly would interfere with the flashing light signals installed on the mast.
Lindsay produces a steel galvanized crossing cantilever mast to accompany each of the 30 predetermined cantilever lengths. The current standard offering of these cantilever mast are set-up with 19’-6” road clearance. The masts also include aforementioned bolt spacing, flashing light junction box access, ladders and fall protection.